Transitional Housing wins Western Australian Premier’s Award!
10 December 2013
The Transitional Housing Program in Kununurra has been awarded the 2013 WA Premier’s Award for Improving Aboriginal Outcomes. This housing program is a partnership between Wunan, Community Housing Limited and the WA Department of Housing and is based on the model developed by Wunan in 2010.
The focus of the program is;
- to move Aboriginal people along the housing continuum from public/social housing to home ownership
- to improve the participation in employment
- to improve school attendance
- to improve health and wellbeing
The notable successes to date are;
- 3 home loan approvals
- participants in the program have remained employed with many moving into new roles and more stable employment
- school attendance has risen from 70% to 89%
More Transitional Housing is required across the Kimberley and to that end 60 houses are in the planning stage for Broome and Derby. The success of the model, and the recognition given by the Premier’s Award, provide a clear way forward for further development of Aboriginal housing.